The Chattahoochee Valley Beekeepers Association was started in 1971 to support and promote the practice of beekeeping in the Chattahoochee Valley area; to include West Georgia and East Alabama.
In 1971 a small group of beekeepers met in the basement offices of the Muscogee County Courthouse with the assistance of Mr. Dick Collier , Extension Agent of the UGA Cooperative Extension Service. Some of the Founding Members were : Charles and Betty Beegle; Dick Collier; O. T. Ditchfield; William O. Frederick; Duane A. Johnson; John Shaffer; Reuben F. Songer; Dr. and Mrs Thomas Y. Whitley; J.T. Cox; Reuben F. Songer; and several others, as the records kept by Mr. Collier were lost when the courthouse was torn down.
As a result of the City of Columbus and the Muscogee County Government Consolidation in 1971 a new Columbus Government Center was built during 1972 through 1973. In 1973 the old Muscogee County Courthouse was torn down. The CVBA held meetings first in the old courthouse, then in the new Government Center and also in the Government Annex ( We met in the Government Center at least until 1998). The exact date is unclear but the CVBA finally started meeting at Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center on South Lumpkin Road in Columbus, GA. where we meet now.
The Mission of the CVBA as stated in our Constitution as to purpose and function:
- To promote modern beekeeping methods.
- To promote brotherhood and fellowship among beekeepers.
- To act in the interest of beekeepers in protecting and carrying on beekeeping affairs.
- To operate as a non-profit association and to aid members in cooperative and mutually beneficial beekeeping methods.
The Chattahoochee Valley Beekeepers Association accomplishes its mission by:
- Regular meetings are held on the second Monday of every other month, i.e. January, March, May, July, September, and November. These meetings provide our members with educational opportunities, as each meeting has a program about how to be a more efficient beekeeper. (Public is welcome)
- Providing our membership and the public with this web site.
- Promoting membership in the state Georgia Beekeepers Association.
- Providing members and the public with Beekeeping Short Courses.
- Providing to members only the use of an extractor and uncapping knife to take off their honey.
- Providing to members only the use of candle molds to make your own beeswax candles.
- Encouraging members to attend events where we can educate the public about “This Amazing Creature—THE HONEYBEE”.
HELP! Swarms & Bee Rescue
BECOME A MEMBER!
PRINT out an APPLICATION HERE
Here is a handy link:
QUICK LINK TO SWARM LURE RECIPE!!!
SPRING is here, get those Honey Supers ready!
(see below for specifics about our alternating locations)
LOOKING AHEAD-MEETINGS IN 2017:
April 10 - Oxbow
May 8 - Ga. Extension Service
June 12 - Oxbow
July 10 - Ga. Extension Service
August 14 Oxbow
September 10 - CVBA Picnic at Betty Beegle's Farm
October 9 - Ga. Extension Service
November 13 - Oxbow
December 11 - CVBA Christmas Social at Ga. Extension Office
All dates except the picnic begin at 6PM and end (hopefully) before 8PM.
All of our meetings are on the second Monday of the month, except, of course, September's annual picnic. Now you can put us on your calendar early and plan out your entire year of beekeeping meetings. These meetings alternate locations between Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center, 3535 South Lumpkin Rd., Columbus, GA and the UGA Cooperative Extension office - 420 10th Street in Columbus, GA. Time is 6:00 PM
Becoming a member of our Beekeepers Association is easy! CVBA-MEMBERSHIP APPLICATION
- Observation Hive Donated at Meeting
- Nucs at Night
- March 2017 – Paul’s Newsletter
- February 2017 – Paul’s Newsletter
- Beekeeping Spring Course Outline -2017
Nucs Arrive 2017
Varroa Mite Test
- April 2017
- March 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- December 2015
- October 2015
- August 2015
- July 2015
- June 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- February 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- June 2014
- March 2014
- January 2014
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- January 2013
- November 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012